DEPARTURE TIME & LOCATION:
Morning departures preferred to align with feeding of the Karearea.
Helicopters Nelson Base or alternative by arrangement.
Combine birds’ eye views of the Nelson-Marlborough Region with an up-close-and-personal experience with one of New Zealand’s rarest native birds
This tour has been selected for guests to learn more about the Kārearea (New Zealand Falcon).
Lifting off from Nelson Airport you will quickly discover how beautiful our region is from above.
Head East over the Richmond Ranges to New Zealand’s largest wine region before landing at the Marlborough Falcon Trust, where you will be greeted by their ambassador for a private tour of their facilities.
Kārearea (New Zealand Falcon) Experience:
- A unique experience learning about New Zealand’s last
remaining endemic bird of prey
- See restoration efforts in action with a behind the scenes Private Centre Tour, and the opportunity for an up close and personal Kārearea Encounter
- Option to wear a falconry glove and experience holding trained advocacy kārearea.*
- *Kārearea Encounters are always subject to the willingness of our advocacy kārearea to ensure we uphold and champion positive animal welfare standards.
● Private Centre Tour: go behind the scenes with a KFT staff member to learn about kārearea and see our rehabilitation and breed-for-release facility.
● Kārearea Encounter: guests will be welcomed two at a time into an aviary with a KFT staff member. Each person will take turns wearing a falconry glove and experience calling a trained advocacy kārearea to fly over and land on their hand.
- Guests are welcome to take photos during this up-close experience.
- Complimentary gift from the Kārearea Falcon Trust.
Capable of flying at speeds up to 200 km/h and catching prey larger than itself, the New Zealand falcon is one of our most spectacular birds, assisting wine-makers in the region by scaring off grape-gobbling pests!
Today only 5,000–8,000 kārearea remain!
The Kārearea Falcon Trust operates as a bird rescue, rehabilitation, restoration and release centre in the heart of the Marlborough region. They take sick, injured, and orphaned birds from the whole of the South Island.
Optional Extra – Vineyard Visit
From the Falcon Experience, you have the option of visiting a nearby vineyard for wine tasting and dining.
There are numerous options and we are happy to assist with your selection.